Sunday, February 22, 2009

Questions

Are we really prepared to teach? I personally will be going through what is known as the alternate route. That is that i am a grad from MSU in Bio Chem, but i took no education classes. I will take the praxis exam and hopefully land a job in my old high school in Passaic NJ, and though i understand the theory of biochemistry I really have no idea on how to stand in front of a class of 30 or more students and be able to truly teach them everything i know. This is a bit worrysome to me since i know that what i will be able to teach them, or what i wont be able to teach them, could certainly shape there future. Obviously this is a big weight on my shoulders because i know that i am probably the first line of fire when it comes to theses kids future. Not to mention the fact that there are so many other factors when it comes to teaching in an urban enviroment such as Passaic High school. I will have to not only face these children but also face there challenges of economic statues, at home support system, prior education etc. I presonally graudated from Passaic high school and know for a Fact that this school does not prepare you for collegae life. So what can i do different? how will i be able to pierce through all the other factors of home, friends, gangs, drugs etc. i really have no idea. Truly I hoped that this class and others in the MAT program will be able to at least guide me through this rocky road and hopefully give me what i would need to become the teacher these kids truly deserve. I am open to any possible suggestion. lol

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you were expecting more of a how to class? You might already be doing this, but I suggest scanning the internet for lesson plans and suggested activities for teaching your subject. A good start might even be the teachers union website. They always have a good resource/links page. Since you are already being thoughtful about this undertaking, I have a hunch you're going to do well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm facing a lot of the same preoccupations as you are! I, too, am not sure of how I will be as a teacher or how I will form my teaching strategies. This is coupled with the fact that I'm not sure I even know how to teach! As you're going through the Alternative Route program, you'll probably find out a lot about your capabilities in the classroom in a short amount of time. But I guess that's what it's all about. Finding out your own strengths and weaknesses through personal experiences and adapting accordingly. What more can you do but your very best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fact that you wrote this blog and have these types of questions is a step in the right direction. I am not a teacher in a high school yet but have taught in various math programs at Rutgers for high school students and college students. I have the exact same worries. So far I have just got up in front of the class and did whatever came naturally. I try to connect with each student and I have learned that one of the most important things as a teacher is being prepared. I have many different contingencies ready for each class I teach. Being well prepared helps put my mind at ease about the lesson and I can just focus on making connections with the students and things like that during the class. Also knowing your subject very well, as you do, is so important. When you can answer any question that the students have they treat you like an expert and it really helps form good relationships with the students.

    ReplyDelete